CSV Files as an External Data Source
You can import .csv files into KISSmetrics to import data into your account. We’ll accept both one-time uploads and a recurring import of .csv files from your Amazon S3 Bucket.
Columns will have the bold titles. These are the two required fields:
- “Identity” (required): Each entry is a KM identity. We will accept both new identities and identities already in our database.
- “Timestamp” (required, except when importing aliases): Each entry contains a timestamp of when the event/property occurred. The time format is in seconds as a UTC Unix epoch. To reformat human-readable time (e.g. 6/16/2008 17:16:25) into Unix epoch time using Excel, simply apply this formula:
=(A1-25569)*86400(point A1 to the cell containig the human-readable timestamp). To learn more, check out this article on MrExcel.
Then include at least one of these three columns, depending on what type of data you’re importing:
- “Event” (optional): You can add an event name, such as “Signed Up”. It does not matter if you currently have data for this event, or if this is a completely new event. If you are importing events, each row needs an event. To set only properties, set those aside in a separate CSV file.
- “Prop:”Property Name (optional): You can add property columns by giving them the title “Prop:” and then adding the property name. For example, “Prop:Age” or “Prop:Billing Amount”. You can include up to 10 property columns.
- “Alias” (optional): in the rare case you are uploading aliases, you can add additional aliases to the KM identity.
Importing only events (
Importing events with optional properties (
record command with properties)
Importing only properties (
Importing optional aliases (
It’s uncommon to upload aliases, but this is the format if you absolutely needed to:
Sample .csv file
Attached is a sample .csv file for reference.
Recurring CSV Import
Import data every hour by linking KISSmetrics with an Amazon S3 bucket containing multiple `.csv` files.