CSV Files as an External Data Source
- File Format
You can import .csv files into KISSmetrics to import data into your account. We’ll accept both one-time uploads and a recurring import of .csv files from your Amazon S3 Bucket.
Columns will have the bold titles. These are the two required fields:
- “Identity” (required): Each entry is a KM identity. We will accept both new identities and identities already in our database.
- “Timestamp” (required, except when importing aliases): Each entry contains a timestamp of when the event/property occurred. The time format is in seconds as a UTC Unix epoch. If you are using dates in Excel, you may need to convert those dates to Unix timestamps. See this answer on Stack Overflow.
Then include at least one of these three columns, depending on what type of data you’re importing:
- “Event” (optional): You can add an event name, such as
Signed Up. It does not matter if you currently have data for this event, or if this is a completely new event. If you are importing events, each row needs an event. To set only properties, set those aside in a separate CSV file.
- “Prop:”Property Name (optional): You can add property columns by giving them the title
Prop:and then adding the property name. For example,
Prop:Billing Amount. You can include up to 10 property columns.
- “Alias” (optional): in the rare case you are uploading aliases, you can add additional aliases to the KM identity.
Our CSV import is unable to accept double quotation marks (“) so please use single quotations (‘) if possible.
Importing only events (
Importing events with optional properties (
record command with properties)
Importing only properties (
Importing optional aliases (
It’s uncommon to upload aliases, but this is the format if you absolutely needed to:
Sample .csv file
Attached is a sample .csv file for reference.
Recurring CSV Import
Import data every hour by linking KISSmetrics with an Amazon S3 bucket containing multiple `.csv` files.